Friday, August 12, 2011

Disney Flashback Friday: Playhouse Disney


My kids and I were walking to school this morning, and we somehow or other got on the topic of old Disney Channel cartoons, and shows that they used to watch every morning during Playhouse Disney (now Disney Junior).  Many were the mornings (since I'm a Stay-At-Home-Dad) where we would cuddle up in blankets on the floor and watch such greats as 'Rolie Polie Olie', 'Out of the Box', 'Stanley', 'JoJo's Circus', and the words "Fruit Salad" (yummy yummy) still make me break out in cold sweats.  It was funny though, that the further back we went the less they were able to remember about the shows, and these were shows they watched every day.

Being the little Playhouse Disney addicts that they were, one of their favorite places to stop at Disneyland was inside Disney California Adventure Park, at the Playhouse Disney theater, in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot.  Now the home of the Disney Junior show, the theater (before they got too big to want to go anymore) was the home to a live action/puppet show highlighting many of the favorite shows at that time that were showing on the Disney Channel each and every day.  It only made sense that they would gravitate towards it and want to go each and every time we went to The Park.  My wife and I have loads of memories of sitting on the floor in the theater with our two oldest watching their faces light up as they laughed, clapped, and yelled along with their favorite characters from their favorite shows.  Things seemed so much simpler back then, and it was a jolt to me with the realization of how big they are getting now, but it also it brings a smile to my face even to this day when I go back and think about, and look at, some of those memories.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Big Blue House..."

JoJo's Circus

Stanley

Winnie the Pooh


And although it was never a part of the Playhouse Disney show (at least, not that I can recall), no memories of those days would be complete without a little 'PB&J Otter'.  Although the boys tell me they don't remember this show at all, Daddy remembers it, and we watched it a lot.  It's always good to go back and remember things, isn't it?

19 comments:

Magical Days with the Mouse said...

Fun memories Chad! I never saw any of those characters in the Disney Playhouse except Winnie the Pooh, but I do remember them on the outside window.

Never saw PB&J Oooo PB&J OOooOO, but I will say that intro song is catchy!! Nice upbeat.

It will be fun to see what M remembers when he is older.

Mary said...

I loved Bear in the Big Blue House. And I didn't even have kids at the time.

mc said...

That is so funny, I thought I was the only one who remembered P, B, and J Otter. My kids loved that show but don't remember it. Bear was also huge with my daughter and we still have all the stuffed animals, pip & pop, Ojo, Tutter and Bear. You have definitely brought back wonderful memories for me and I miss going to Playhouse Disney at Hollywood Studios. Last Yr when we went I asked who would go and they didn't want to but we went in for one last time .. Thanks Chad.. How old are your kids? Mine are 11 and 9..

Deb @ Focused on the Magic said...

Those are great flashbacks! My kids always loved Playhouse Disney..and I did too. Thanks for the happy memory reminders:)

Unknown said...

I never knew any of those shows! I like the current playhouse junior.. love the Little Einsteins and my son loves Oso... cute pic of you and your son!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah :) Yeah, we were kicking it old-school today LOL
PB&J is the greatest cartoon ever!!!
You'll have a blast with him :)

Unknown said...

We still love him, Mary. The kids, not so much but I think he's great :)

Unknown said...

Nope! Definitely not the only one Diane :)
We still have a stuffed Bear as well - he turned up the other night and kinda got this whole ball rolling. It was good to see him again :)
My sons are 9, 7 and 4 :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Deb :) You're very welcome :)

Unknown said...

You definitely missed out Jenn! :)
He's grown up quite a bit since then :/

Sunny said...

This brought back some great memories with my Daughter. She loved Bear and JoJo. I miss Playhouse Disney with the intermissions with Dan Zanes and Ralph's World. Thanks for the post. :-)

Sunny said...

I love the memories this post brought back. My Daughter loved Bear and JoJo. I miss the Playhouse Disney intermissions with Dan Zanes and Ralph's World. Cheers for the post.

P.T. said...

Pretty cool to see the first generation of Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior. I never watched those shows because I didn't have a kid then but my 3-year old LOVES the current Disney Junior now that it has Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I'm sure in a few years from now, the current Disney Junior show will feature new cartoons for the next generation. Thanks for sharing the pics and the cute story of you watching the cartoons with your kids!

Monica said...

I remember all those too. Not sure I ever watched them all the way through with my kids (except Rolie Polie Olie!), but they were on all the time, so I DO remember the music! My husband and I can still be caught singing "Out of the Box...Out of the Box"...but that's all we can remember of it. Makes me want to pull out any old dvds or cds we have and have a Playhouse Disney day!.....And a "totally chocolate dinner". (remember that from Rolie Polie Olie?)

FUN post!

Naomi said...

I so miss "Bear in the Big Blue House" and "Stanley"! DD (now 11) and I once made our own Great Big Book of Everything. And where would I have been without Bear and his "potty training" DVD...

Unfortunately, I think that the older shows had already moved out of Playhouse Disney (Disney Junior) by the time that we brought the kids to Disneyland for the first time. Sure would have like to see Rolie Polie Olie there!

Great flashback!

Unknown said...

Glad it brought back such great memories, Sunny :)

Unknown said...

You're very welcome, PT. Glad you enjoyed looking at the older iteration of the show and the pictures :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Monica! :)
We loved Rolie Polie Olie and Out of the Box. Such great memories! :)

Unknown said...

Great to have you stop by Naomi! :)
Yes, Bear and Stanley were some of our favorites as well! My kids loved them but have a hard time remembering them these days.
Glad you enjoyed the flashback :)